ROSEMONT, Ill. -- Rattled badly in the sixth round, Ulises "Archie" Solis stormed back and scored a spectacular one-punch knockout of Rodel Mayol in the eighth round to retain his junior flyweight title on Saturday night at the Allstate Arena.
The fight was the other title bout on the card headlined by lightweight beltholder David Diaz's first defense against former three-division champion Erik Morales, and Solis made it memorable with a knockout of the year candidate.
Mayol, of the Philippines, had staggered Solis with a left hook in the sixth round and he went down on a delayed reaction, but referee John O'Brien ruled it a slip.
Mayol's success continued in the seventh, but in the eighth Solis landed a jab followed by a perfect right hand on the chin. Mayol never saw it coming and went down face first. Although he beat the count, he was very wobbly and O'Brien wisely stopped it.
"I knew he had a reputation of being a big, dangerous puncher," Solis, 25, of Mexico, said. "I got hurt earlier. He caught me with a good right hand. He's a very dangerous fighter, so all I thought about was throwing everything I had. I was just going to keep fighting and I got him with a right."
Solis successfully defended his 108-pound title for the fifth time since winning it from Will Grigsby on a lopsided decision in January 2006.
Both fighters were marked up, Solis (25-1-2, 19 KOs) with swelling by his left eye and Mayol with redness under his right eye.
Mayol (23-2, 18 KOs), of course, was disappointed with the outcome and felt like he was robbed of a knockdown.
"I thought I was winning the fight," he said. "I want an immediate rematch. I am very disappointed that the knockdown was not scored in my favor earlier in the fight."
Officially, Solis, whose brother, Jorge, is a top featherweight contender, led on all three scorecards at the time of the knockout.
Mayol, 25, was bidding to become the third fighter from the Philippines this year to win a world title. Nonito Donaire (flyweight) and Florante Condes (strawweight) both won belts this year.
Both of Mayol's defeats have come in title bouts. In May 2006, Mayol led early, was dropped in the 12th round and lost a decision to strawweight titlist Eagle Kyowa in Japan in a brawl.
Chavez Jr. knocks out Brown
Junior middleweight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (33-0-1, 26 KOs), the son of the Mexican legend, stopped Louis Brown (15-3, 10 KOs) in the fifth round of a one-sided action fight.
Absent from his usual ringside position was Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., who, according to Top Rank, is in a drug rehabilitation facility in Mexico. But Junior didn't let his absence bother him, battering Brown until referee Gerald Scott stopped it at 2:42 of the fifth.
Chavez, who hurt his right hand, dominated. He knocked Brown down in the fourth round with a body shot.
There is talk now that Chavez will move on to a fight against former "Contender" star Alfonso Gomez in early 2008. Chavez was supposed to face Arturo Gatti in November, but Gomez knocked Gatti out on July 14. Now, Gomez might get the fight with Chavez instead.
"I am looking for a much bigger fight now," Chavez said. "I want to close out the year fighting Gomez."
Chavez was coming off an easy June 9 third-round knockout of Grover Wiley, the man who sent Chavez Sr. into retirement.
Brown was probably the best opponent Chavez had faced so far, even if that is not saying much. Brown's losses came by knockout against undefeated junior welterweight Dmitriy Salita in 2005 and former lightweight champ Cesar Bazan in 2004.
• Junior featherweight Bernabe Concepcion (22-1-1, 12 KOs), a 19-year-old rising prospect from the Philippines, hammered San Antonio's Gabriel Elizondo (22-3, 10 KOs) into a fourth-round TKO.
Concepcion, an aggressive fighter like his hero and countryman Manny Pacquiao, knocked Elizondo down with a right to the side of the head in the third round. In the fourth, he nailed Elizondo with a left to the body and he went down again. Elizondo, who lost his second in a row, got to his feet, but referee Tim Adams stopped it at 2:11.
• Super middleweight Donovan George (15-0-1, 13 KOs), a rising Top Rank prospect from Chicago, impressed with a third-round TKO of Shay Mobley (16-9-1, 11 KOs).
George, 22, easily won the first two rounds and then roughed up Mobley against the ropes in the third. It looked as though George scored a knockdown in an exchange, but referee Scott ruled it was a slip. No matter. Moments later, George attacked and unloaded several shots on Mobley, who was out on his feet as Scott stopped the bout at 2:33, just as Mobley's corner was signaling for it to be called off. It was George's eighth straight knockout.
• Chicago middleweight Michael Walker (16-0-1, 10 KOs) stopped 2000 U.S. Olympian Dante Craig (17-7-1, 13 KOs) at 2:23 of the second round. Walker dominated Craig, who was knocked out for the third consecutive fight. Walker staggered Craig badly with a left hook and moments later finished him off with a brutal three-punch combination, forcing referee Scott to intervene with Craig out on his feet.
Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com.