Former undisputed junior middleweight champion Winky Wright's return to the ring against Grady Brewer was canceled Monday.
Wright (51-5-1, 25 KOs) was scheduled to fight Brewer (26-11-15 KOs), a former winner of "The Contender" reality series, in a middleweight bout on Dec. 11 that was to headline a pay-per-view card from San Juan, Puerto Rico.
However, the card was called off when co-promoter San Juan City Knockout withdrew its support, Wright adviser Damian Ramirez told ESPN.com.
"The local promoter canceled the show after he completely paid in full all the PPV expenses, travel, advertising, marketing, commercials," Ramirez said in an e-mail. "Don't know why."
Said Wright: "I am really disappointed the show can't happen as I was training very hard and really wanted to get back in the ring. I was so looking forward to fighting in Puerto Rico in front of all the Puerto Rican people who are boxing fanatics and really know and appreciate the sport."
Wright hasn't fought since dropping a lopsided decision to Paul Williams in April, a fight that followed a nearly two-year layoff after his decision loss to Bernard Hopkins in a light heavyweight fight.
"Winky isn't happy right now," Ramirez said. "He's at 162 [pounds] right now. He's been working his ass off. He wanted to make a statement and stop Brewer."
Wright, who turned 38 last week, will look for an alternative fight, but eventually wants to face middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik.
"I still am a bit shocked the show was canceled by the promoter in Puerto Rico, but I want to make it perfectly clear it was not because I asked for millions of dollars to fight," Wright said. "We had done everything possible to make this show come together and I knew the financial considerations I needed to make in order for it to happen. Unfortunately, now this is not the case, and I will look to find another alternative so I can fight as soon as possible.
"I hope that we can work something out so that I will be fighting in the early part of 2010, as I am anxious to use all the hard work and training I have already put in for this show. I just hope everyone has a great holiday season, and look for me to fight again soon after the new year."
The entire card was scrapped, causing fights involving former junior flyweight titlist Alex "Nene" Sanchez, heavyweight Fres Oquendo and twins Juan and Carlos Velazquez, all of Puerto Rico, to be called off also.
Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.