Barbaro remains stable, in 'good frame of mind'

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. -- Barbaro spent another "comfortable"
day in the intensive care unit at the George D. Widener Hospital
for Large Animals, and his veterinarian reports the Kentucky Derby
winner's attitude "remains positive."

There was no indication Barbaro's condition had improved since
80 percent of his left rear hoof wall was removed Wednesday to
combat the often-fatal disease laminitis. For the third straight
day, though, Dr. Dean Richardson said the colt's condition remained stable.

"His vital signs are good and his attitude remains positive,"
Richardson in a statement released by the University of
Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center. "He is acceptably comfortable
today, and his appetite remains excellent."

Barbaro had another restful night, Richardson said Sunday, and
assistant trainer Peter Brette emerged after a morning visit and
said the colt "is in a good frame of mind."

"He was bright," Brette said. "He sort of at least had a bit
of sparkle in his eye."

Brette, who exercised the colt daily for trainer Michael Matz,
has been visiting Barbaro almost every day since the colt shattered
his right hind leg a few yards after the start of the Preakness
Stakes on May 20.

"We're still very worried," Brette added, "but it's very good
for me to go in and see him like this."

Barbaro has casts on both rear limbs. The cast on the colt's
right rear leg has been changed at least four times in the last two
weeks. A smaller cast is on the left rear hoof, and the bandages
protecting it were changed Saturday, and are likely to be changed
again in the coming days.

Barbaro has been listed in stable condition since Friday, the
day after Richardson said the colt had laminitis "as bad as it
gets" and termed his chance of survival poor.

While Barbaro's condition is being constantly monitored, it was
a relatively quiet weekend around the New Bolton Center. Residents
and interns tended to their rounds, checking on the many other
animals in their care. One resident said he's treating two goats in
the stall next to Barbaro's.

The weekend brought an outpouring of sentiment from Barbaro
fans. Baskets filled with apples, carrots, mints and packages of
sugar cubes and several flower arrangements were delivered for the
third straight day after Richardson said Barbaro had laminitis.

A couple from Hershey, Pa., made a side trip to the hospital and
left a get-well card at the front desk before heading to the races
at nearby Delaware Park.

"So many people are rooting for Barbaro to make it -- he was
going to be our Triple Crown winner," Dawn Templin said a few
minutes after admiring the get-well cards, flowers and fruit
baskets on display in the lobby. "We came here to leave a card,
and just see the place where they're trying to save his life."