Champions League roundup, Match Day 5
Here is a look at five stats and trends from today's Champions League action.
• Chelsea fell 2-1 to German side Bayer Leverkusen. This was Leverkusen's third win in 17 matches vs. English teams. Chelsea has only one win in six matches in Germany.
• The loss means Chelsea will need to defeat Valencia or draw 0-0 and hope Leverkusen does not lose to Genk on the final match day to advance. Overall SPI simulations give Chelsea a 66% chance of qualifying for the knockout round.
• Arsenal defeated the Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund 2-1 at the Emirates to secure a place in round of 16 as the group winners. Arsenal advances past the Group Stage for the 12th straight season, the 2nd-longest active streak (Real Madrid has 15). Arsenal has now won 6 straight home games vs. German teams and is undefeated in 26 straight Group Stage matches at home.
• It was a fairly chippy game as Arsenal was fouled 23 times by Dortmund. Interestingly this is tied for the most times Arsenal has been fouled in a Champions League match over the past two seasons. It was also fouled 23 times by Braga in a group stage match on November 23, 2010, exactly one year ago.
• Barcelona defeated AC Milan to clinch group H. Milan is also through as the runner-up. It wasn't a typical win for Barca as it completed "only" 464 passes. This is 152 fewer than it has had in any Champions League match over the past two seasons.