Clint Dempsey's historic EPL hat trick
Clint Dempsey scored three second-half goals Saturday in Fulham's 5-2 win over Newcastle. It was Fulham's second-ever Premier League hat trick, joining Andy Johnson's versus Queens Park Rangers in October. Here is an additional quintet of notes on Deuce's trio of goals.
• Dempsey is the first American to score a Premier League hat trick. He extends his American record to 42 career goals, six more than Brian McBride. His nine EPL goals this season would place him third on the American scoring list, trailing only McBride and Roy Wegerle (13).
• Two of Dempsey's three goals Saturday were off fast-break situations. Over the last two seasons, Robin van Persie is the only other player with multiple goals off fast breaks in a Premier League match, against Chelsea last October. Dempsey also has 20 goals inside the box since last season, including all three Saturday. Only van Persie (34) and Dimitar Berbatov (25) have more in that span.
• On the heels of a career-best 13 goals in all competitions last season, Dempsey already has 15 goals this season. In addition to his nine Premier League goals, three shy of his personal best set last season, he has three goals in both the FA Cup and Europa League.
• Dempsey has been in torrid form lately. He has six goals in his last three games, following a hat trick in the FA Cup two weeks ago. He also has 10 goals in his last 11 appearances in all competitions for Fulham. His American form has also been quality, with five goals in his last 11 appearances.
• This was Dempsey's seventh multigoal game in Premier League play. All other Americans have combined for eight braces, with McBride accounting for five of them. Joe-Max Moore, Claudio Reyna and Wegerle have also struck twice in a Premier League game. Wegerle was the first to do so, in October of the league's inaugural season in 1992.