Korea fires coach Cho Kwang-rae
SEOUL, South Korea -- The Korean Football Association says it decided to fire national team coach Cho Kwang-rae to ensure the underperforming squad qualifies for the 2014 World Cup.
Cho had been under pressure since South Korea's shock 2-1 defeat to Lebanon in a World Cup qualifier last month.
The loss left the Koreans even with Lebanon atop Group B with 10 points and needing a point in their final group game against Kuwait in February to progress to the final round.
Cho's dismissal was first reported by national broadcaster KBS on Wednesday evening.
KFA president Cho Chung-yeon said Thursday the organization believed it would have been difficult for South Korea to make it to the 2014 World Cup with Cho Kwang-rae at the helm.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
Soccer on ESPN.com
Coverage on ESPN FC
- Bennett: Great American swindle?
- Marcotti: Robin van Persie's future
- Cox: Under the radar
- Jose Mourinho exclusive interview
- State of Scottish football
- Marcotti: Preseason's double-edged sword
- MLS Power Rankings, week 20
- Bennett: EPL crisis?
- MLS second-half stories to follow
- Marcotti: Di Matteo's vision for Chelsea
- Can the NASL contain the Cosmos?
Euro 2012 in Review
MORE SPORTS HEADLINES
- Contact Us
- Daily Line