SportsNation Blog Archives California Golden Bears
It's not a list that Reggie Theus or anyone who gets the coaching gig at USC will have to worry about for the forseeable future, but Andy Katz is talking top 25 in college hoops.
Now that the early-entry candidates for next week's NBA draft are locked in place, Katz has surveyed the landscape and installed Kansas as his team to beat. Here's his top 10, complete with significant representation for the recently beleaguered SEC.
Andy Katz's Top 10
1. Kansas (SN fan group: Rock Chalk Jayhawk)
2. Michigan State (SN fan group: Michigan State Basketball)
3. Texas (SN fan group: Big 12 Twelve Group)
4. Villanova (SN fan group: Villanova Wildcats!)
5. North Carolina (SN fan group: Tar Heel Basketball)
6. Purdue (SN fan group: United States of Boilermakers)
7. Kentucky (SN fan group: Kentucky Basketball Fans)
8. Tennessee (SN fan group: 100% SEC)
9. West Virginia (SN fan group: Mountaineer Nation)
10. Duke (SN fan group: ACC Sports)
Not bad, but I would make a few adjustments. I think that Kansas is where it should be, maybe move UNC up a spot, and put UK in top 5, even though they are young. I would have Louisville in the top 25 as well, and possibly Mizzou. The SEC looks to be a good conference this year.” -- bluerupp
I agree with the top 5 on the listing. You can take a blanket and throw it over the group and any of them could win the title. If all teams are healthy come tourney time (not likely), Kansas will have the most talent and depth to win. Adding the Henry brothers to the other recruits means that they will be far deeper at key positions (center and forward) than last year. Also, playing 4 frosh significant minutes means they grew up last year and should be readier for the rigors of major conference basketball.” -- tcco007