The MMA world was flabbergasted after it was announced Saturday that bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes was pulled from her UFC 213 title fight against Valentina Shevchenko. The fight had been scheduled for Saturday night.
The UFC confirmed that Nunes, the 29-year-old Brazilian who beat Ronda Rousey at UFC 207 last year, was pulled from the fight due to an undisclosed illness.
Fellow MMA fighters immediately reacted to the sudden news.
Please Get well champ!! Abraços! @Amanda_Leoa— #OnAmission4Gold (@KelvinGastelum) July 8, 2017
I fee bad for @Amanda_Leoa hope you get better soon champ! 🦁— Katlyn Chookagian (@blondefighter) July 8, 2017
Some fighters weren't ready to watch the title fight go to pieces, offering their services to fight Shevchenko (14-2) on the spot. On Instagram, Joanna Jedrzejczyk said she'd spoken to UFC president Dana White about filling in as a replacement for Nunes (14-4).
I'll fight her...— James Krause (@TheJamesKrause) July 8, 2017
While the Nevada Athletic Commission would never allow a last-second fight to take place, Shevchenko responded to the possibility of a last minute sub to keep the title fight alive.
Although Shevchenko will no longer be part of UFC 213, a member of her team told ESPN's Brett Okamoto that she plans to be in the arena Saturday night.