Nick Kyrgios walks off in Shanghai after losing 1st-set tiebreaker

SHANGHAI -- A year after being fined for tanking a match at the Shanghai Masters, Nick Kyrgios quit another one altogether.

The temperamental Australian argued several times with the chair umpire during his first-round match against Steve Johnson on Tuesday. After losing the tiebreaker 7-6 (5), Kyrgios shook hands with Johnson at the net and then with the chair umpire before packing his bags and walking off court.

Kyrgios later tweeted that he was suffering from the effects of a stomach bug and a sore shoulder.

After he served at 30-30 in the 12th game of the first set, a forehand by Kyrgios was called out. The Australian challenged the call, and it was overruled. Kyrgios then hit two balls in anger and was assessed a code violation warning.

At the change of ends in the tiebreaker, Kyrgios was leading 4-2 but was annoyed that fans were being allowed to come into the court. Kyrgios lost the next point and then started to complain and curse, which earned him an audible-obscenity code violation. He was docked a point to put the score to 4-4.

When the set was done, so was Kyrgios. He left the court without explanation.

On Wednesday, the ATP fined Kyrgios $31,085 -- his first-round prize money ($21,085) and an additional $10,000 for unsportsmanlike conduct -- for failing to see the doctor after the match. According to ATP Tour rules, it is mandatory to be examined by a physician if injured.

Kyrgios also decided Wednesday to withdraw from the doubles tournament.

Last year, Kyrgios was suspended by the men's tour for tanking a match and insulting fans following a second-round loss to German qualifier Mischa Zverev at the Shanghai Masters. Kyrgios gave little effort during the 6-3, 6-1 loss, even patting easy serves over the net and turning away before his opponent's serve had crossed the net.

Kyrgios arrived in Shanghai for this year's tournament following a 6-2, 6-1 loss to Rafael Nadal in the China Open final.

Also, 12th-seeded John Isner beat Serbian qualifier Dusan Lajovic 4-6, 7-6 (5), 7-6 (6) on a day with temperatures soaring past 90 degrees.

"The conditions were brutal," Isner said. "It felt like Atlanta in August. I think that could've been the hottest match I played all year."

American Jack Sock, the 14th seed, retired in his match because of dehydration with Ukrainian qualifier Alexandr Dolgopolov leading 4-6, 6-1, 2-1. Also, Marin Cilic, a Wimbledon finalist this year, defeated Kyle Edmund of Britain 6-3, 7-6 (5) in the second round. Juan Martin del Potro also made the third round.

Ryan Harrison also advanced, beating Chinese wild-card entry Ze Zhang 6-2, 6-3, while US Open finalist Kevin Anderson defeated Adrian Mannarino 6-3, 6-1.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.