The WNBA is launching a new promotion this season that will link ticket purchases to donations for groups focused on empowering girls and women. It's called "Take a Seat, Take a Stand."
For every ticket bought, the WNBA will donate $5 to organizations the league is partnering with, along with a free ticket to a WNBA game that will be distributed to a young woman or girl. Fans can go to the league's website to purchase tickets and then choose which organization they want to support. The organizations are:
• Bright Pink, which is dedicated to the detection/prevention of breast and ovarian cancer in young women
• GLSEN, which works on creating safe and inclusive schools for LGBTQ students
• It's On Us, which aims to shift the way people think about sexual assault
• MENTOR, which champions youth mentoring
• The United State of Women, which amplifies organizations that fight for women's equality
• Planned Parenthood, which provides affordable health care and sex education
Each WNBA team will also partner with local organizations in their city, and fans can choose to support those as well.