Let's go by the numbers on UConn and Notre Dame's pursuit of perfection:
• The Huskies and Fighting Irish aren't the only college basketball teams without a loss this season. Division 2 Bentley and Division 3 FDU Florham both went undefeated this season to win NCAA women's championships.
• The only other time that a Division 1 Final Four featured two unbeaten teams was 1976, when the Indiana and Rutgers men both made it that far. The Hoosiers finished as undefeated champions, but Rutgers fell in the semifinals and the teams didn't meet.
• It has been 16 years since two women's teams in *any* sport met without a loss in a Division I championship game: Long Beach State and Penn State entered the 1998 volleyball final with matching 35-0 records, and the 49ers won in 5 sets.
• The final number is 0 -- the total number of losses the teams have since they met last season. UConn's last loss was in the Big East tournament final against Notre Dame, but the Huskies returned the favor by eliminating the Fighting Irish from the Final Four.
• This is the first time that two Division I women's basketball teams have reached the Final Four without a loss in the same season.
Women's basketball teams to reach Final Four without Loss
1986 Texas: Won title
1990 Louisiana Tech: Lost in semifinals
1995 Connecticut: Won title
1998 Tennessee: Won title
2002 Connecticut: Won title
2009 Connecticut: Won title
2010 Connecticut: Won title
2012 Baylor: Won title
• Seven of the previous 12 teams to enter the tournament without a loss went on to win the title.
Final Result for Teams to Enter NCAA Women's Championship Without Loss:
Won championship: 7
Lost in Final Four: 1
Lost in Elite Eight: 1
Lost in first round: 3
• There has never been a meeting of unbeaten teams in the championship game in Division I Basketball - either men or women. But there have been such matchups in several other sports.
Pre-BCS Era Bowl Games between Unbeaten & Untied AP No. 1 and No. 2
1996: Fiesta -- Nebraska def. Florida
1993: Sugar -- Alabama def. Miami (FL)
1988: Orange -- Miami (FL) def. Oklahoma
1987: Fiesta -- Penn State def. Miami (FL)
1972: Orange -- Nebraska def. Alabama
BCS Championship Games between Unbeaten & Untied Teams
2010: Auburn def. Oregon
2009: Alabama def. Texas
2005: Texas def. USC
2004: USC def. Oklahoma
2002: Ohio State def. Miami (FL)
1999: Florida State def. Virginia Tech
FCS Championship Game between Unbeaten & Untied Teams
1996: Marshall def. Montana
Men's Lacrosse Championship Games between Unbeaten & Untied Teams
1984: Johns Hopkins def. Syracuse
1981: North Carolina def. Johns Hopkins
1976: Cornell def. Maryland
Women's Volleyball Championship Game between Unbeaten & Untied Teams
1998: Long Beach State def. Penn State
Men's Soccer Championship Game between Unbeaten & Untied Teams
1971: Howard def. Saint Louis
Women's Field Hockey Championship Game between Unbeaten & Untied Teams
1992: Old Dominion def. Iowa