Earlier this morning we looked at how each team in the ACC stacked up at the wide receiver position. Now we’ll take a closer look at the top 10 players in the league at that position. This was a tough list to narrow, as there are easily more to choose from. Several programs have more than one all-conference candidate on their roster, but here’s the final verdict, based on past production and future potential:
1. Dwight Jones, North Carolina: He’s 6-foot-4, 220 pounds and has big-play capabilities. Last year was a breakout season for him, as he had 62 catches after having just five in his career prior to 2010. He had 50 catches in his final eight games, and four 100-yard receiving games, including eight catches for 233 yards against Florida State.
2. Jarrett Boykin, Virginia Tech: The senior has averaged 17.26 yards per catch in his career, the third best among returning ACC receivers. He needs just four catches to become the program’s all-time leading receiver.
3. Conner Vernon, Duke: The junior led the ACC in pass receptions last year (73) and finished third in pass reception yardage (973). He has 128 career catches.
4. Donovan Varner, Duke: He finished fourth in the ACC with five receptions per game and is the league’s active career leader in receptions with 146. He has had seven 100-yard receiving games.
5. Danny Coale, Virginia Tech: He averaged 18.8 yards per catch last year with 39 for 732 yards and three touchdowns.
6. Kris Burd, Virginia: He ranked fifth in the ACC in receptions (58) and seventh in yardage (815). He has 96 career receptions for 1,277 yards.
7. DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson: As a true freshman last year, Hopkins finished ninth in the ACC in receptions with 52, the most by a first-year player in school history. He averaged 12.3 yards per catch with four touchdowns.
8. Travis Benjamin, Miami: He had 43 catches last year for 743 yards and three touchdowns. His career average of 17.1 yards per catch is third best among active ACC receivers with at least 30 catches.
9. Bert Reed, Florida State: He ranks second among all returning ACC receivers with 141 career receptions. He had 58 catches last year for 614 yards and two touchdowns.
10. Willie Haulstead, Florida State: He had 38 catches for 587 yards and six touchdowns. He averaged 15.5 yards per catch.