Purdue's quarterback derby will once again be a three-man race in 2012.
Robert Marve on Friday received a sixth year of eligibility from the NCAA, meaning he'll compete with Caleb TerBush and Rob Henry for the Boilers' starting spot this fall. Marve, who began his career at Miami, sat out the 2007 season because of injury and missed all but four games of Purdue's 2010 season after suffering a torn ACL.
Purdue had lousy luck with its sixth-year applicant last year, wide receiver Keith Smith, but Marve becomes the third Boilermaker to receive an additional year in the past four years, joining defenders Jason Werner and Torri Williams.
Knee issues limited Marve at the start of the 2011 season, and he spent most of the fall backing up TerBush, completing 56 percent of his passes for 633 yards with four touchdowns and five interceptions. Henry would have started ahead of both men had he not suffered a torn ACL weeks before the season.
"I am extremely blessed by the NCAA’s decision and proud to be at Purdue for another season," Marve said in a statement. "I'm looking forward to next year and winning games for the Boilermakers."
Barring more injury issues, Purdue will be extremely deep at the quarterback spot for the 2012 season, when the Boilers have an opportunity to make some noise in a wide-open Leaders division.
"In all of my years of coaching, I’ve never been around a player that has worked so hard at becoming an elite athlete and, because of injury, has seen so little reward for his efforts," Purdue head coach Danny Hope said in a statement. "This is a big boost to our program getting him back."
Although Marve hasn't lived up to his recruiting hype, he has one more chance for a breakout season with Purdue. His return certainly adds intrigue to the Boilers' quarterback battle.