Less than a week after sending out a not-so-cryptic tweet, Boston Celtics All-Star point guard Isaiah Thomas confirmed he intends to put the full-court press on Kevin Durant in hopes of recruiting the soon-to-be free agent this summer.
On Monday, Thomas tweeted -- then quickly deleted -- the number "35" and a shamrock emoji a short time after the Oklahoma City Thunder were eliminated from the playoffs with a Game 7 loss to the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference finals. Recognizing the tweet might have been a bit premature, Thomas took down the post but told the Boston Globe on Saturday that he's not bashful about his recruitment.
"I just wanted the world to know, that’s who I’m trying to get,” Thomas told the Globe while in Shanghai for an NBA initiative.
“I definitely want to give him some time,” Thomas told the Globe. "I know that was a tough series and a long season for him. I wouldn’t want anyone calling me up about the biggest decision of my life right after the season’s over. So I’ll probably give him some time and casually talk to him, and then go all-in."
Asked what going all-in would entail, Thomas told the Globe, "I mean, do everything I can to get him to sign, somehow, someway, hopefully."
Thomas said last month that he plans to be active in offseason recruiting.
"I'm going to be really active [in recruiting]," Thomas told Sirius XM NBA Radio from the NBA draft lottery in New York earlier this month. "[Celtics president of basketball operations] Danny [Ainge] wants me to be active. Whatever he needs me to do, I’m there. All he says is, ‘When I call, answer.’ I’m going to be ready."
Added Thomas: "We’re a step away. We’re a couple pieces away, I think, from being contenders in the Eastern Conference. We won 48 games this year with a team that people didn’t think could do that. That says a lot about the direction we’re going in, and I know Danny and those guys in the front office are going to do whatever they can to make this team the best possible team it can be."