BOSTON -- Red Sox utilityman Brock Holt, who missed the last month of the season after experiencing concussion symptoms, said Thursday that he plans to have a last followup consultation before the start of spring training with Dr. Micky Collins, the clinical and executive director of the University of Pittsburgh Sports Medicine Concussion program.
Holt has been symptom-free since being cleared by Collins in October to resume baseball activity, but he has remained in periodic contact with Collins. “He texts me now and then," Holt said. “I haven’t talked with him lately... but he did say he wanted to see me one more time just to tie a ribbon around the whole thing, so I’ll get in contact with him and schedule one more appointment if he wants to see me one more time.
"He may not want to see me. He’s been real happy with the updates I’ve been giving him."
Holt plans to bring his infielder’s glove and outfielder’s glove again this spring. “At least I know I need those gloves," said Holt, who played every position but pitcher and catcher last season. When he plays first base, he added, he borrows Mike Napoli’s glove.
“I’ll be moving around, but I’m looking forward to it," he said.
He’s also looking forward to witnessing the return of a healthy Dustin Pedroia at second base. The two were partners on a fantasy football league team, Holt said, so they were in regular contact this winter. “Our team wasn’t very good, so those texts got less and less," Holt said. “He was probably mad that he chose me as his teammate.
“He was still the best second baseman in baseball last year with a hurt hand," Holt said. “I think he’s going to come back ready to go like he always does, and we’re lucky to have him on our team."