BOCA RATON -- Though it's been speculated -- including in this blog -- don't expect Chicago Cubs catcher Miguel Montero to be on the move this offseason, at least according to Cubs President Theo Epstein.
"We haven't talked about that at all," Epstein said Monday afternoon at the start of the general manager's meetings. "He was a big part of helping our run prevention last year. His framing, his pitch calling. We set a record for strikeouts, we were third in ERA. He was a big part of that. It's not something we're looking to disrupt at all."
Montero is signed for two more seasons but the Cubs have Kyle Schwarber and hot prospect Willson Contreras waiting in the wings. Montero was in the middle of the pack defensively according to most metrics in 2015 and only threw out 20 percent of runners. That's a low percentage considering he didn't catch Jon Lester. In terms of working with pitchers and some of the other categories Epstein stated Montero was good. The idea to move him makes some sense on paper as it frees up money and a position for Schwarber but it does weaken the Cubs overall strength and depth at that position. The Cubs also have David Ross under contract for one more year.
As for Schwarber he'll continue to work at catcher and left field until a decision on his future is made.
"He's at an age where that's still possible," Epstein said of the dual development.