The good, the bad, and the very, very ugly.
It's time again for the rarely imitated, never duplicated, original, BOLD PREDICTIONS.
(Which have been running since 1998).
I do this bit every year, and you can look back at all the previous versions on this site if you like, they're at the bottom of this page.
Here's last year when I posted a 5. Boo, 5 stinks.
So here they are…
Twenty Bold Predictions for 2012
(For recreational purposes only, no wagering please.)
1. David Ferreira will be MLS Comeback player of the Year. Former MVP is back and will be in the running for MVP again. …If he can stay healthy.
2. Brek Shea and company will make if to the semi-finals of the Olympics. After which someone will offer $15 million for Shea, which FCD will turn down.
3. Wilman Conde will quit New York during the season. Why? Cause the Red Bulls aren’t coached by Juan Carlos Osorio.
4. West Finish: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, FC Dallas, Seattle, Vancouver, Colorado, Portland, San Jose, and Chivas USA. It’s hard to get better in the best conference. Not much has changed. LA depth carries them. LA depth is their key.
6. East Finish: Sporting KC, Houston, Philadelphia, New York, DC United, Columbus, Chicago, Toronto FC, Montreal, New England. I believe in Peter Nowak. The 5th spot and down is all up for grabs.
5. MLS will announce the newest expansion franchise to New York and it won’t be the Cosmos. Yes, again. I predicted this last year and I’m sticking with it. Garber wants him soome NYC FC, it’s gonna happen… eventually.
7. Jamison Olave will be Defender of the Year for Real Salt Lake. Big, physical, good positioning, and enough speed to handle most strikers. Plus RSL is really good.
8. Eddie Johnson will become a full time starter for Seattle and have a good season. Eddie needs a little love, Sigi has lots of love to give. Johnson will hit 10+ goals.
9. Seattle Sounders will be US Open Cup Champions. As long as they continue to value it and buy the home games, you can’t bet against them.
10. George John will re-sign with FC Dallas. It will catch fans & media by surprise, but Big John won’t go overseas. Not only will he stay in MLS he will sign a four year deal with FCD.
11. Peter Vermes will be MLS Coach of the Year. Sporting wins the East and gets Vermes the nod.
12. The Rookie of the Year will be Luis Silva. Silva will score just under 10 goals this season for TFC… says my magic 8-ball.
13. Frank Yallop will be fired midseason. I feel like there is a disconnect between the players Yallop wants and the players his FO gets him.
14. LA Galaxy will win the Supporters Shield. It’s starting to get annoying but they have the talent and depth to be tops again.
15. Fredy Montero will win the MLS Budweiser Golden Boot for the Sounders. Teal Bunbury would win it if he weren’t going to miss so many games with the Olympic team.
16. Real Salt Lake will be MLS Cup Champs. Someone will upset the Galaxy, FCD will get thugged out of the playoffs, and Sporting will lose to RSL in the final in Salt Lake City.
17. Sebastien Le Toux will be MLS MVP. He’s going to raise Vancouver up this year as he goes 10+ and 10+.
18. Brad Davis will finally get a recall to the US senior team. After another great season Klinsmann will want to look at Davis for the CONCACAF Qualifying slog.
19. San Jose will trade Chris Wondolowski. After Yallop gets canned, SJ will look to rebuild their team and trade older Wondo for some young talent and picks.
20. Blas Perez will be the MLS Newcomer of the Year. I think Perez is going to have a terrific season.
If you're bored and curious, you can read the previous decade plus worth of prediction here:1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011.