SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Players -- most of them pitchers and catchers -- arrived in the clubhouse this morning and exchanged hellos and headed off to the field for some informal workouts. The first official workout is scheduled for Thursday.
There are plenty of familiar faces in the clubhouse. But there are also some new folks ready to prove they can join the defending American League champs. Some notes (we'll dive deeper into all of these guys in the coming days and weeks):
* Brandon Webb says his goal is to be in the rotation by Opening Day, something he believes is realistic. Webb has thrown off a mound three times and said he felt great. He is scheduled to throw a bullpen session in the next two days as all of the Ranger pitchers are expected to throw during that time span.
Webb said that for the first time this offseason he could feel his arm healing and that he felt like he had when he was healthy. He isn't sure of the plan, but knows he's going to have to fight the tendency to do too much too soon.
More on Webb later.
* RHP Dave Bush feels good and just wants to show that he can pitch consistently and stay healthy. He said he hasn't worried about any particular role or where he may fit in with the team. He's here in large part because Mike Maddux is the pitching coach and worked with Bush when both were in Milwaukee a few years back.
"I know what to expect from him," Bush said. "I do know him. I want to come in and pitch and see what happens."
* RHP Alexi Ogando isn't concerned about where he might pitch in 2011, only that he wants to improve and play where the team needs him.
* LHP C.J. Wilson started camp off with: "I just want to come here and prove I can start...wait, that was last year." After 15 wins, he comes in as the leader of the rotation.
* Wilson, Bush, Eric Hurley and Tanner Scheppers were expected to throw bullpen sessions today.