<
>

Oscar: No Stiverne-Wilder deal yet

Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya's message was very clear: Don't believe everything you hear.

Contrary to an announcement by the WBC, which said De La Hoya and Don King had reached an agreement for the heavyweight title bout between Bermane Stiverne and mandatory challenger Deontay Wilder, De La Hoya told ESPN.com on Sunday night that no deal had been reached.

Stiverne (24-1-1, 21 KOs), who is promoted by King, is due to make his first defense against the Golden Boy-promoted Wilder (32-0, 32 KOs). A purse bid had been scheduled for Sept. 12, but when the camps told the WBC they were getting closer, it was postponed. If no deal is reached, the purse bid is scheduled for Wednesday.

De La Hoya said he and King have spoken several times but "the problem is we're not getting any closer. I want to make an agreement and we'll see what we can do, but there is nothing agreed to. There is no deal."

De La Hoya was scheduled to fly to New York on Monday for Canelo Alvarez/HBO-related business but said he would again reach out to King, whom he said he has been unable to get in touch with for the past few days.

"I just wanted to clarify there is no deal done, and I have no idea if there will be one," De La Hoya said. "I talked to [WBC president] Mauricio [Sulaiman], and he told me King told him there was a deal. So I rolled my eyes and said, 'That's Don King for you.' The truth of the matter is Deontay Wilder is a Golden Boy fighter, and no deal can be made without talking to me or me giving the authority to talk to [Golden Boy vice president] Eric Gomez.

"Don made an offer. I'm not gonna say the offer but the proper protocol is to give me a site and a date, and that's what I am waiting for. He didn't tell me when and where the fight would be. We're OK with the money, but we want to get the fight done this year. Without a site and date, what would keep Don from just changing things? So without a site and a date in a contract, we have no deal whatsoever."

De La Hoya said he hoped that they would be able to work it out before Wednesday's purse bid.

"I'm confident it won't go to a purse bid," De La Hoya said. "It's actually easy -- if you want to get the fight done, you get the fight done. But it won't get done if Don King can't give me a date or a site."

What about a television network? HBO and Showtime surely would have interest in one of the heavyweight division's most significant fights.

"He hasn't given me that, either," De La Hoya said, adding he is willing to work with any network that offers an acceptable deal. "My motto is I'll give the opportunity to anybody. Since when is competition not healthy?"