<
>

Injured Juan Diaz out until at least February

Former unified lightweight titleholder Juan Diaz is expected to be out until at least the end of the year. Ethan Miller/Getty Images

In March, former unified lightweight titleholder Juan Diaz, on the comeback trail since ending a nearly three-year retirement in 2013, tore his left rotator cuff and had surgery.

Diaz, who won five fights in a row since ending his retirement, was on the verge of fighting for another world title. He was in training to challenge Japan's Takahiro Ao for his belt on May 1, but suffered the injury in a sparring session and it forced Diaz out of the fight.

It has been five months since the surgery and Diaz, whose last fight was 11 months ago, is not close to returning, according to Carl Moretti, vice president of Top Rank, which promotes Diaz.

Moretti said he spoke to the "Baby Bull" last week and that he will be out of action at least until the end of the year.

"We're probably looking at a February return," Moretti said.

Houston's Diaz (40-4, 19 KOs), who turns 32 next months, won a world title in 2004, made seven defenses and unified three major belts before being upset by Nate Campbell in Cancun, Mexico, in 2008. After suffering through a stretch in which he lost three of four fights, including two world title fights to Juan Manuel Marquez, Diaz retired in 2010.