Arroyo to defend junior bantamweight title vs. Ancajas

McJoe Arroyo, right, could defend his junior bantamweight title in the Philippines against Jerwin Ancajas. AP Photos

Promoter Sampson Lewkowicz won a purse bid Tuesday at IBF headquarters in Springfield, New Jersey, to gain promotional control of junior bantamweight titlist McJoe Arroyo’s mandatory defense against Jerwin Ancajas.

Lewkowicz, the only bidder, offered $25,000 at the IBF auction. Arroyo, as the titleholder, is entitled to 85 percent of the bid ($21,250) and Ancajas would receive the remaining 15 percent ($3,750) if the fight comes off.

Lewkowicz must submit signed contracts to the IBF no later than Feb. 17 and the fight must take place within 90 days, or by May 2. Lewkowicz said that he plans to put on the fight at a site to be determined in the Philippines, Ancajas' home country.

Arroyo (17-0, 8 KOs), a 30-year-old southpaw from Puerto Rico, won a vacant 115-pound belt by 10th-round technical decision against Arthur Villanueva in July. The fight was stopped and sent to the scorecards after Villanueva suffered a cut from an accidental head clash and was unable to continue.

Ancajas (24-1-1, 16 KOs), 24, has won 11 fights in a row since a 2012 majority decision loss to Mark Anthony Geraldo, who lost a unanimous decision to Arroyo in December 2014.