Selby camp wins purse bid for Hunter mandatory

Lee Selby will be making his second featherweight title defense against Eric Hunter. Christian Petersen/Getty Images

Promoter Tom Brown’s TGB Promotions won an IBF purse bid on Tuesday afternoon for the right to promote featherweight titlist Lee Selby’s mandatory defense against Eric Hunter.

TGB Promotions bid $302,990 to easily beat the only offer, which was $51,000 from Main Events, which bid on behalf of Hunter promoter Greg Cohen.

Selby (22-1, 8 KOs), 29, of Wales, who will be making his second title defense, is entitled to 85 percent of the winning bid ($257,542). Hunter (21-3, 11 KOs), 29, of Philadelphia, who will be participating in his first world title bout, is entitled to the remaining 15 percent ($45,448).

TGB Promotions has 90 days to put on the fight but there’s a good chance it will wind up taking place on an April 9 card being put on by Matchroom Boxing, which works with Selby in the United Kingdom, at the O2 Arena in London. That card is headlined by British star Anthony Joshua challenging Charles Martin for his heavyweight world title.