GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Earlier, we looked at the Green Bay Packers' players who have returned from injuries that prematurely ended their 2013 seasons.
Now, let's take a look at the players who have yet to return from injury or have sustained injuries this offseason.
Players still out
1. Clay Matthews: Ever since he had his second surgery on his twice broken thumb, it was clear that the Pro Bowl outside linebacker would miss a good part of the offseason. But Matthews said recently that his thumb is healing properly and that he expects to be ready by the start of the regular season. However, that does not answer the question of whether he will be ready for training camp. Matthews said recently that does not expect to have to use a sizable brace on his hand but likely will have to wear some protective covering. Matthews has been at every organized team activity practice open to the media but has not participated in the action.
"It's kind of week-to-week," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "We'll see how he's doing. ... I really don't have a handle on if he'll practice in the offseason or not."
2. Nick Perry: This is one of two mysteries on the injured list. Perry finished last season by playing in the final five games (including playoffs) after missing five games because of foot and ankle injuries. Like Matthews, Perry has been at every OTA practice open to the media but has not participated. He also has not been available to reporters, and McCarthy does not reveal injury details in the offseason.
3. Andrew Quarless: Like Perry, Quarless also finished the season on the active roster. He played in all 16 games and became the starting tight end after Jermichael Finley's season-ending neck injury in Week 7. It was the first time Quarless had played since late in the 2011 season, when he blew out his knee and underwent reconstructive knee injury that cost him the entire 2012 season. Quarless has been in attendance at all the OTAs open to the media but has not participated or spoken to reporters.
4. Johnathan Franklin: The second-year running back has not been cleared to return following the neck injury that landed him on injured reserve on Nov. 27. Franklin has been in attendance at all the OTAs open to the media but has not participated or spoken to reporters.
Players with new injuries
1. Chris Harper: The second-year receiver who claimed off waivers from the San Francisco 49ers on Oct. 18 of last year was off to a strong start in OTAs until he sustained a hamstring injury last week. "Harper was making a lot of plays before he tweaked his hamstring," quarterback Aaron Rodgers this week.
2. Jumal Rolle: The cornerback who spent 11 weeks on the practice squad before elevated to the active roster late in the season began the offseason in fine health but has not practiced since the first week of OTAs. No reason was given for him dropping out of practice.