Chiefs win in dramatic fashion to stay NFL's lone unbeaten team

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- About 10 minutes into Monday night's game, the Chiefs looked like they were toast. Nothing was working on either side of the ball, and they were poised to fall behind by two touchdowns to the Washington Redskins at Arrowhead Stadium.

They came to life not a minute too late and showed why they're the NFL's last remaining undefeated team at 4-0 by holding Washington to a field goal on that drive and then winning 29-20. With four seconds left in the game, rookie kicker Harrison Butker hit a 43-yard field goal. On the game's final play, Chiefs linebacker Justin Houston scored a touchdown on a fumble return.

The Chiefs went through more than a few anxious moments en route but found a way to overcome a stubborn opponent in perhaps their most difficult test of the season.

That quality should serve them well in their next game Sunday night against Deshaun Watson and the suddenly high-scoring Texans in Houston.

"It's a testament to this team the way we won," said tight end Travis Kelce, who had 111 receiving yards and a 17-yard touchdown. "We handled adversity very well."

The Chiefs again thrived in the fourth quarter. Including Houston's touchdown, a 13-yard return after Washington tossed laterals across the field in an attempt for a desperation touchdown, the Chiefs outscored Washington 12-3 in the fourth quarter. The Chiefs are winning the final period 54-13 in their four games this season.

"It lets everybody in the league know that we finish," Kelce said. "It's a gut check once you get into the fourth quarter. It's something we pride ourselves in."

The Chiefs had trouble early protecting quarterback Alex Smith, who was sacked four times. Blocking for Smith has been a season-long problem for the Chiefs, who have allowed their quarterback to be sacked 16 times in four games.

But the Chiefs went on a 66-yard drive in the fourth quarter that chewed up more than eight minutes. It bogged down, however, and they had to settle for a field goal. Butker's 32-yard kick broke a tie game and gave the Chiefs a 20-17 lead.

After Washington tied the score 20-20 with less than a minute left, Smith led the Chiefs down the field and into field goal range, with the big play being a 37-yard pass to receiver Albert Wilson.