1. The Westlake football team remained undefeated with a 56-6 win over Simi Valley. It was another ho-hum game for the Warriors. Quarterback Nick Isham threw for 164 yards and three touchdowns. He also rushed for 118 yards and a touchdown on two carries. Tavior Mowry rushed for 64 yards and a touchdown on five carries. Westlake gained 233 rushing yards. Westlake (5-0) leads the Marmonte League after four games. Four teams are tied for second with 3-1 records. St. Bonaventure beat Newbury Park, 42-14, Oaks Christian beat Royal, 50-20, Moorpark beat Calabasas, 34-7, and Thousand Oaks beat Agoura, 21-12. Thousand Oaks, which lost starting running back Rickey Minyard to a foot injury against Agoura, and Oaks Christian play on Friday night. One of those two teams will fall out of second place. Moorpark will have its hands full against Westlake on Friday night.
2. Two teams from the Serra League are undefeated in nonleague play. Alemany and Bishop Amat will take undefeated records into league play. Alemany shut out Beverly Hills, 53-0, to improve to 5-0. Crespi is 5-1 against nonleague opponents and has big wins against Clovis West and Vista Murrieta. Crespi is coming off a 53-47 win over Woodland Hills Taft. Kenny Stenhouse set another school record with six touchdown passes and threw for 364 yards against Taft. Loyola is 3-3 in nonleague play and is coming off perhaps its biggest win of the season, 39-24, over Valencia, which was No. 8 in the ESPNLA.com top 25 rankings. Alemany, the No. 9 team in the ESPNLA.com rankings, opens Serra League play against No. 13 Crespi on Oct. 22. Crespi plays Bishop Amat in their league opener on Friday.
3. Canyon beat Dos Pueblos, 36-3, and improved to 5-0 before the start of Foothill League play. Canyon is the only undefeated team in the Foothill League. Jonathan Jerozal threw for 257 yards and four touchdowns. TJ Yonkers caught three touchdown passes. But the big star of the game was Canyon kicker Mohammad Roknipour. He kicked three field goals including a school-record 57-yarder in the third quarter. Canyon opens Foothill League play against Saugus on Friday night. The Foothill League game of the year, Canyon vs. Valencia, is scheduled for Oct. 22.
4. There are two undefeated teams in the Mission League. Gardena Serra, the fifth-ranked team in the ESPNLA.com top 25, is 5-0. Chaminade is also 5-0 and coming off a 31-27 win over Sherman Oaks Notre Dame. Serra is by far the class of the Mission League. Cathedral and St. Paul will start league play on Friday with 4-1 records. St. Francis, once undefeated at 3-0, has lost its last two games and is stumbling into league play. Chaminade is an interesting team, averaging 35.2 points with blowouts against Burbank and Fairfax. Chaminade opens league play against Harvard-Westake (2-2-1) on Friday night.
5. The Golden League is officially up for grabs. Eastside and Knight are 2-0 in league play. Four teams are tied for second place with 1-1 records. Quartz Hill is one of those 1-1 teams. The Rebels are coming off a stunning 34-0 shutout over Palmdale. Palmdale entered the game with a 46-1 record against league opponents in its past 47 games. Palmdale plays Knight on Friday night. Quartz Hill is on the road against Lancaster. Eastside is at Antelope Valley.