Last week, San Francisco Giants manager Bruce Bochy was hopeful that second baseman Joe Panik (back) would miss just 15 days on the disabled list after an MRI showed only inflammation, tweeted John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle.
On Tuesday, however, Bochy told reporters, including Carl Steward of the San Jose Mercury News, that Panik will not be activated from the disabled list when eligible later this week. According to Steward, Panik has yet to resume baseball activities and won't be able to hit again for at least another week. The details of Panik's apparent slow recovery and a timetable for a full return are unclear.
If Panik is out for an extended period of time, one option could be a waiver trade bringing Philadelphia Phillies second baseman Chase Utley to the Giants. Utley cleared waivers on Tuesday, which now makes the 11-year veteran eligible to be traded. Multiple published reports named the Giants, Chicago Cubs and Los Angeles Dodgers among the teams interested in acquiring Utley. San Francisco GM Bobby Evans confirmed that the Giants have been in talks about a trade for Utley, but hinted at a high asking price, reports Steward.
As of Wednesday afternoon, Fox Sports' Jon Morosi reports the Phillies and Giants are in "ongoing talks" about Utley:
Here's a look at some of the other top rumors making their way around baseball today.
Josh Donaldson: Oakland Athletics GM Billy Beane repeatedly said "no" to the Blue Jays when the two teams were engaged in trade talks concerning Donaldson this offseason, according to Steve Simmons of The Toronto Sun. In his column, Simmons writes that Beane became agitated and asked Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos to stop asking for Donaldson. Anthopoulos reportedly kept calling anyway, and eventually convinced Beane to trade Donaldson in exchange for for third baseman Brett Lawrie, right-hander Kendall Graveman, left-hander Sean Nolin and minor league shortstop Franklin Barreto.
Marcus Stroman: The Blue Jays intend to try rehabilitating right-hander Marcus Stroman out as a starter for the stretch run, reports Shi Davidi of SportsNet. The 24-year-old threw off a mound Tuesday for the first time since a knee injury in the spring, noted Davidi. Manager John Gibbons, after watching video of the throwing session, told Davidi "you wouldn't think anything was ever wrong with [Stroman]." Gibbons added that he was surprised Stroman is even in a position to potentially return this season at all. He wouldn't rule out starting or bullpen work for Stroman, depending on his progress. Stroman will reportedly throw again on Friday and could start a rehab assignment on August 21.
Miami Marlins: Jose Fernandez (biceps) was placed on the 15-day disabled list, but the 23-year-old right-hander says he expects to return this season despite the Marlins' 45-68 record. He said he's been pain-free for a couple of days. Meanwhile, 25-year-old right fielder Giancarlo Stanton (wrist) is reportedly progressing toward a return "to baseball activities," but isn't ready to take batting practice yet.