Saints CB Delvin Breaux on the mend, feels good after workout

METAIRIE, La. -- No injury has hurt the New Orleans Saints more this year than the broken fibula suffered by cornerback Delvin Breaux in Week 1. But Breaux is working his way back.

He ramped up his rehab Monday by doing position drills for the first time since the injury to test out his leg. Breaux said he “won the day” and felt good after doing things like cutting and changing direction, etc.

“All my drills, all my techniques and movement skills,” Breaux said.

It seems unlikely that Breaux could be ready to play by Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks, but we'll see if he is able to begin practicing for the first time this week.

Breaux declined to predict when he’ll return to practices or games.

“It’s up to the trainers and the coaches and of course, me,” Breaux said. “So we’re just being patient, taking it one day at a time, working, and we should be out there soon. ...

“I’m feeling pretty good. The training staff’s saying I’m progressing really well. So we’ll be out there soon.”

Not only did Breaux establish himself as the team’s No. 1 cornerback last year while playing at nearly a Pro Bowl level, but the depth at that position has been devastated by injuries all year long.

By the end of Week 2, the Saints had lost their top five cornerbacks from the start of summer workouts to long-term injuries (of that group of Breaux, Keenan Lewis, P.J. Williams, Damian Swann and Kyle Wilson, only Breaux can return this season).

Then last week, new starter Sterling Moore suffered an abdomen injury that kept him out of Sunday’s 27-21 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. Moore’s recovery timetable is unknown.

Meanwhile, the Saints got back another one of their most valuable players Sunday when left tackle Terron Armstead returned from a lingering knee injury.

However, Armstead temporarily left the game to have his knee treated in the locker room. And he acknowledged after the game that he’s still not fully healed.

“It felt good to be back, but obviously I'm not back where I need to be," Armstead said, according to NOLA.com.

Armstead said the knee started to aggravate him on the first couple plays and “then it just progressively got a little worse” before he limped off the field with trainers early in the game.

“I just came in (the locker room), switched some things up and was able to just fight it as much as I can to try and help us win a game,” Armstead said.

Armstead said the knee would be evaluated Monday. It’s unclear if he is in jeopardy of missing next Sunday’s game against Seattle, though he was optimistic Sunday.

“I was trying to do whatever I could, really, to just finish the game," Armstead said. "(I’ll) get looked at, evaluated tomorrow and see exactly what I'm dealing with, but I think it's good."