Norvel Pelle, one of the three St. John's recruits who were ruled academically ineligible for at least the first semester of this season, has de-committed from St. John's.
"Word is out I decommitted which is true," Pelle said via Twitter on Wednesday afternoon. "I jus want to thnk all the st johns fan for there support and luv yall showed me."
Pelle -- a 6-foot-9 forward from Long Beach, Calif., who was ranked the No. 77 high school senior in the country by ESPN last year -- would have given St. John's some much needed size and depth in the front court. He is the second of the three ineligible players to re-open his recruitment -- 6-foot-8 JaKarr Sampson, the No. 32-ranked high school senior, had already done so.
The third ineligible recruit -- 6-foot-6 Amir Garrett, the No. 99-ranked high school senior -- has indicated via Twitter in recent weeks that he still hopes to join St. John's for the second semester of this season, but that remains to be seen.
St. John's top recruit in the Class of 2012 -- 6-foot-7 Ricardo Gathers, the No. 30-ranked high school senior in the country this season -- also pulled back his verbal commitment to St. John's last week, although he said St. John's remains his top choice. Gathers intends to wait until the spring to sign a national letter of intent.