<
>

Mets demote Anthony Recker, Danny Muno

NEW YORK -- The New York Mets demoted backup catcher Anthony Recker and infielder Danny Muno to clear the roster spots for the returns of Dillon Gee and Ruben Tejada from leaves on Sunday.

The Mets chose to keep rookie catcher Kevin Plawecki over Recker as the backup catcher alongside Travis d'Arnaud.

Recker was hitting .143 (7-for-49) with two homers this season.

Muno is 2-for-24 on the season. On Saturday, he became the second player in franchise history to commit three errors in three fielding chances in a game, joining left fielder Benny Agbayani in 2001.

Manager Terry Collins implied that keeping Plawecki at the major league level makes sense right now because d'Arnaud is being eased back into regular play. The decision will be reevaluated once d'Arnaud is playing on a more regular basis.

This alignment should stay in place for at least 10 days, though. That's the minimum time Recker needs to stay in the minors. Collins asserted that getting Recker regular at-bats in the minors should benefit him.

Plawecki, who is expected to start on Monday, said medication is successfully dealing with what was a completely blocked right sinus. He had been experiencing recurring dizziness.

"It was a chance to keep Kevin here and get him some playing time," Collins said. "Now, when Travis is ready to play like normal, we'll have to make another decision. We'll see how this is working. One of the things that's really important for Reck is when he plays, he's dangerous. He's just got to get some at-bats. So this is an opportunity for him to go to Triple-A and get some at-bats, and hopefully find his swing and get back here and help out."