JUPITER, Fla. -- Despite having a pair of major-league-ready young catchers, the New York Mets are telling teams they are interested in acquiring a backup catcher to break camp with the big-league club, a source told ESPN.com.
The Mets are considering having Kevin Plawecki open the season getting 150 to 200 at-bats at Triple-A Las Vegas rather than have his playing time severely curtailed in the majors behind Travis d’Arnaud. And team officials so far are dissatisfied with the caliber of alternatives in camp, including Johnny Monell, the source added.
Still, there is no guarantee the Mets acquire the type of backup catcher they seek.
Plawecki, 25, hit .219 with three homers and 21 RBIs in 233 at-bats as a rookie in 2015.
Manager Terry Collins said Saturday regarding where Plawecki should open the season: "We haven't had that discussion as to where he's going to fit the best, or what we think is the best for everyone involved. That has not taken place. What we've got to do is take what we think are the best 25 and get out of the gate and go from there. If the conversation goes to, 'Hey, look, we need to have this guy ready to be an everyday guy,' he may have to go play [in Las Vegas]. If we think we're better off being able to get him two to three games a week at times [backing up d'Arnaud], then he's got a good chance of making the club."