DL for Wright, Murphy to 3B possible

Terry Collins said the Mets likely would hold off on a disabled list decision involving David Wright until Friday, after a hand specialist has a chance to examine X-rays and Wright can see whether significant swelling subsides.

Wright’s finger will be fitted for a customized splint Wednesday at the Hospital for Special Surgery.

David Wright

David Wright

#5 3B
New York Mets

2012 STATS

  • GM4
  • HR1

  • RBI4

  • R1

  • OBP.647

  • AVG.583

The Mets have an afternoon game Wednesday against the Nationals, then a team day off Thursday, so any DL decision can wait until before the Mets open a weekend series in Philadelphia.

“I’m going to wake up tomorrow, hopefully the swelling goes down and we start getting it better,” Wright said. “For right now, it’s swollen. I’m just trying to ice it and stabilize it and see how it feels tomorrow. … You can’t determine anything when it’s puffy and swollen like it is now.”

Collins indicated an absence of any length likely would prompt him to move Daniel Murphy back to third base, his natural position. That potentially would open second base for the promotion of infield prospect Jordany Valdespin. Justin Turner also could man second base in that scenario.

A short-term absence for Wright in which he avoids the DL could be plugged at third base by Ronny Cedeno and Turner, according to Collins.

“If I can’t play sooner rather than later, I understand. They can’t go and be down a man for 10 days or so,” Wright said about the DL. “I want to get out there and play as soon as possible. I guess ultimately it’s not my call, because if I’m not available and still on the roster, we’re down a man. … Obviously I don’t want to go on the DL. No one ever wants to go on the DL. But sometimes it just works out that way. Hopefully that’s not the case this time.”

Said Collins: “It depends where the fracture is itself, where it’s at. But, a lot of those things, if it’s not something they have to set, you go play. You deal with the pain, and you can play through it. We’ll know more tomorrow after we get the initial report back from the hand specialist. … Worst case right now is that he’s going to miss a little bit of time. But the best-case scenario is that he takes tomorrow (off) and he’s ready to go on Friday, once they get the swelling down.”

Wright tried to grip a bat pregame in a cage, but was unable to do so.

“There was nothing that I could do to have it feel even remotely comfortable, or that I could go up there and do any sort of damage at the plate,” Wright said. “It would just be me up there taking or trying to slap the ball around. That’s not good for anybody. For me, the main thing, even yesterday after I did it, hitting really hurt. Throwing wasn’t nearly as bad as gripping the bat.”