It's Reunion Weekend, the first meeting for Joe Torre against his former team, and we're on notes patrol trying to dig up the most interesting facts and figures via our various resources (Baseball-Reference.com, Stats LLC, and the Elias Sports Bureau). Here's what we've come up with:
• Joe Torre will have managed 4,239 regular season games and 142 postseason games before managing his first game against the Yankees. That’s the most of any manager prior to managing a game against the sport’s most storied franchise.
According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Hall of Famer John McGraw ranks second. He managed 3,338 games, combining the regular season and postseason, prior to facing the Yankees for the first time in the 1921 World Series.
Best Win Pct By Yankees Manager
All-Time, minimum 500 games
Former Yankees skipper, Hall of Famer Joe McCarthy ranks third, at 3,161 games prior to managing against them for the first time, as Red Sox manager in 1948.
• Torre’s 1,173 wins as Yankees manager rank second-most in team history, trailing only McCarthy, who managed the Yankees from 1931 to 1946. His 10 first-place finishes rank tied with Casey Stengel for the most by a Yankees manager, though Torre did so in divisional play, while Stengel did this in a non-divisional format.
Torre, McCarthy and Stengel are the three Yankees managers to manage at least 500 regular season games for the Yankees, winning 60 percent of them.
• Torre and Stengel are two of the three managers to manage both the Yankees and Dodgers franchises, though the other, Wilbert Robinson managed the Yankees in 1902 when they were located in Baltimore and known as the Orioles.
• Unlike Torre, Casey Stengel, never got to manage against the Yankees in the regular season after being forced into retirement following the 1960 World Series.
His first meeting with the Yankees following his departure came in spring training 1962, while with the Mets. It wasn’t a regular season game, but Stengel went all-out to beat his former squad, and the Mets did so, winning 4-3 on Richie Ashburn’s ninth-inning hit.
Yankees Leaders under Joe Torre
1996 to 2007
• On April 2, 1996, Joe Torre earned his first win as Yankees manager, beating the Indians 7-1 on Opening Day. The Yankees catcher that day was Joe Girardi.
The current Yankees manager appeared in 379 games for the Yankees with Torre as manager. In those games, the Yankees were 230-149 (.607 win percentage).
Your Yankees leaders during Joe Torre’s managerial reign – Derek Jeter tops the list in games, batting average and stolen bases. Bernie Williams rates first in home runs and RBI. Alex Rodriguez hit .303 with 173 home runs, which rate third and sixth respectively.
Pitching-wise, Andy Pettitte rates first in just about everything- wins, losses, and strikeouts. Mariano Rivera is of course No. 1 in saves, as well as ERA, by a wide margin.
Mark Simon is a researcher for Baseball Tonight. You can follow him on Twitter or e-mail him at email@example.com.