With all four NFC South training camps starting later this week, let’s take a look at five key questions:
1. Will Darrelle Revis be ready from the start? The Bucs have said Revis will be on the field in some capacity on the first day. But Revis is coming off a torn ACL and I expect the Bucs to exercise some caution with their big investment. Revis may be doing some things from the start of camp, but I look for the Bucs to keep him on a pitch count.
2. How much will we see of Tony Gonzalez in camp? Probably not much at all. The Falcons went to great lengths to keep Gonzalez from retiring. Part of the deal might have been that Gonzalez doesn't have to go through the grind of a training camp. He’ll show up for camp, but I wouldn’t expect to see him practicing very much.
3. Who will be the outside linebacker for the Saints on the strong side after Victor Butler’s injury? All indications are that Martez Wilson will get the first crack at that job. The Saints didn’t panic and sign anyone after Butler was injured. That’s a pretty strong indication that the coaching staff feels confident with Wilson.
4. Is Carolina running back Jonathan Stewart healthy? Coach Ron Rivera has stopped short of saying Stewart will be ready for the first day of training camp. Stewart is coming off surgery on both ankles. I get the sense it might be more toward the middle or end of camp before we see much of Stewart.
5. Any chance Matt Ryan’s contract extension gets done before camp starts? I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that the Falcons and Ryan reach an agreement before Thursday afternoon. This deal has been in the works for months and it would be a good idea to start camp off without something that could be a big distraction.