Doan continues playing the waiting game

NEW YORK -- To all those teams awaiting veteran free agent Shane Doan’s decision, let it be known that it’s wearing on him, too.

The 35-year-old forward, one of the top offensive talents remaining on the market, wants to see his situation resolved soon.

Doan repeatedly has stated his desire to return to the Phoenix Coyotes, but he currently is monitoring the ownership situation in Glendale, Ariz., before making a decision on whether to stay or sign elsewhere.

"I want to make it as soon as I can," Doan said Thursday outside NHL offices in Manhattan, where he and other NHLPA members gathered to participate in the latest round of labor discussions.

Coming off a 50-point season, Doan said he has received varying degrees of interest from several teams but does not want to mislead any about his first priority: to remain with the organization for which he has played for the past 16 years.

"I’ve made no bones about the fact that I want to go back to Phoenix if the situation works out," he said.

Doan acknowledged that the holding pattern he has endured while waiting to see whether Greg Jamison’s purchase of the team will be completed has handcuffed suitors. He said he was grateful for their understanding.

"Teams have been great about being patient with me, and I appreciate it so much because I know the fluidity of the market and the way that it moves," Doan said. "The teams have been so kind to my family and understanding the situation we're in. That being said, eventually I have to make a decision, and it'll have to probably be without all the information."

Doan sounded both eager to decide, and frustrated about the lack of certainty and information with regards to Phoenix’s ownership situation.

Last week, two ballot measures were rejected by the City of Glendale that could affect the $324 million lease agreement with Jamison. Doan’s agent, Terry Bross, told multiple news outlets that recent communication from Jamison’s group has been sparse.

"The hardest thing is that no one really has any idea. It just keeps getting pushed further down the road," Doan said.

When asked specifically whether he’d consider playing for the Rangers, who are believed to be interested, Doan responded: "I’ve got a few teams that you look at and that you’re serious about. That being said, I’ve also talked with some teams that I didn't think I was [serious about], but that kind of made their case.

"When it comes down to it, I’ll really make my decision. I don’t want to put anybody in a situation where you feel like, you know, if you impress me, I’ll come," he said. "Until I make my decision, I don’t want to force anyone’s hand."