LOS ANGELES -- Four days after his Carson project was rejected by NFL owners, San Diego Chargers chairman Dean Spanos is still in the process of reviewing his options.
And while Spanos contemplates his best course of action, Rams owner Stan Kroenke is already hitting the ground running and marketing his team in Los Angeles.
The plan for the Rams is to implement a grassroots, community effort to re-energize the team’s fan base in Los Angeles and have a practice facility to hold offseason workouts here beginning in April.
That puts the Chargers at a disadvantage as the second team in Los Angeles, should they choose to partner with the Rams in Inglewood.
The Chargers already have committed to holding offseason workouts at Chargers Park, which means the earliest they could be in Los Angeles is the beginning of training camp at the end of July.
NFL owners who talked to reporters in Houston indicated that they preferred the Chargers play in San Diego for the 2016 season.
Spanos returned San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer’s call on Thursday to let him know that he’s in the process of considering how he will move forward on securing a stadium deal for his franchise.
Earlier this week, the league’s 32 owners voted 30-2 to send the St. Louis Rams and San Diego Chargers back to Los Angeles to play in Kroenke’s proposed $1.86 billion stadium in Inglewood.
The Chargers have the option to stay in San Diego and move to Los Angeles for the 2017 season. However, the Rams will move in time for the 2016 NFL season.
During an introductory news conference in Los Angeles, Kroenke was asked about the status of talks between the Rams and Chargers. Kroenke said those negotiations are ongoing, but did not give an indication of how close the two sides were to coming to an agreement on a framework of a deal.
“That was part of the approval, and we’re immediately engaged with them, talking about what some kind of deal might look like,” Kroenke said. “We’ve offered several iterations of that. So we’ll see where that goes.”
The Chargers have the option of being a partner or tenant in the Inglewood stadium. However, Spanos must decide if he wants to move forward on the Inglewood deal by March for the Chargers to play their games in Los Angeles for the 2016 season.
Faulconer and San Diego County supervisor Ron Roberts have indicated they are interested in getting back to the negotiation table on a $1.1 billion proposal to replace Qualcomm Stadium that includes $350 million in public money.
Roberts said the duo would be willing to enhance the offer.