SAN DIEGO -- With the Philadelphia Eagles executing a blockbuster trade with the Cleveland Browns for the No. 2 overall pick on Wednesday, San Diego Chargers general manager Tom Telesco acknowledged that the phones have not been ringing at Chargers Park as they did earlier in the week.
However, that does not mean the Chargers are not open for business and interested in trading the No. 3 overall selection if the right deal is in place by Thursday.
“The option is still there,” Telesco said. “Like I said, the phones were still active until Wednesday. Once the trade was made, it really slowed down. But we’d still be open to it. We’ve got six days to go, and we feel like we’re in a very good spot.
“Obviously, there’s going to be a great player there for us to take. But if there’s a trade there that makes sense for us, we can move back and acquire some picks -- either this year, next year or both -- that would be a great opportunity. So we’ll kind of see how it plays out.”
However, Telesco did say that the Chargers have to balance how far they move down the draft board if the team does decide to trade back, so San Diego still has a chance to select an impact player.
“Obviously you can’t go too far (back),” Telesco said. “There’s a happy medium. The other thing is if a team has to come up really far, the price tag usually is so high, so it’s hard to do. When you’re inside the top five, there’s even more of a premium, as you saw with the first two trades here.
“There’s a difference between going five or six spots up later in the first round vs. five or six spots into the top five as far as compensation. As you saw with the Rams, to go from No. 15 to No. 1 they had to give up a lot to get there, and that was pretty much right on track with where I thought it would be.”
Telesco did not tip his hand when asked about potential targets for the Chargers at No. 3, including Ole Miss tackle Laremy Tunsil, Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey, Oregon defensive end DeForest Buckner and UCLA linebacker Myles Jack. But Telesco conceded that, excluding his medical concerns, he likes the flexibility of a player like Jack.
“He’s so unique,” Telesco said. “You can play him at inside and outside linebacker. You can play him at some nickel corner, or slide him out at corner or back at safety. He can return kicks, and he was a great running back his freshman year. So those are all pretty good traits to have, especially with roster flexibility.”
Asked if he knew who the Chargers would select in the first round if they stayed at No. 3, Telesco said he’ll take his time and announce it when he has to on Thursday.
“We’re going to take our six days of allotment that they are giving us,” Telesco said, smiling. “And we’ll see what our options are on Thursday, and go from there.”
Telesco also said the team will exercise the fifth-year option on offensive lineman D.J. Fluker's rookie deal. Taken No. 11 overall by the Chargers in the 2013 draft, Fluker was selected to play right tackle. But after two seasons, the Chargers moved him inside to right guard last year.
Telesco believes that Fluker can play winning football at guard or tackle, serving as a tone setter for the offensive line. Fluker has been banged up at times, missing five starts in three seasons.