In this interview with Darren Smith of The Mighty 1090 AM radio, Las Vegas mayor Carolyn Goodman says that if the Raiders do not work out as a tenant in her city, the Chargers could be a possibility to relocate to Las Vegas if Chairman Dean Spanos does not find a stadium solution in San Diego.
Raiders owner Mark Davis met with the Southern Nevada Tourism Infrastructure Committee on April 28 and pledged $500 million toward the construction of a $1.4 billion, 65,000-seat domed stadium.
Goodman had been a 40-year Chargers season ticket holder, but did not renew her tickets for the 2016 season. Goodman said she would love to see the Chargers in Las Vegas if the Raiders do not relocate there, and the Chargers do not get anything done in San Diego.
“Of course, being passionate Chargers fans all these years and putting our money where our mouth was, of course I would love to see them here,” Goodman said. “And timing, whether it was the Rams, or Oakland or the Chargers, this was the time. So being on a selfish, personal level of course I would rather have the Chargers here. I wouldn’t have to drive 5 ½ hours to get to you … but Oakland here is something that is really viable.”
My take: The Chargers remain committed to getting a stadium project done in San Diego, and I think Los Angeles would still be the team’s backup plan if things go south. However, Las Vegas would be an intriguing option for any team, and the NFL appears serious about the Raiders relocating there. Money talks.
My take: Brandt gives the Chargers high marks for taking two Ohio State Buckeyes in Joey Bosa and Joshua Perry. Bosa will play right away, but Perry also has the skill set to develop into a starter at some point in his NFL career.
My take: Bosa certainly will have an opportunity with the number of snaps he will likely play for the Chargers. But I’m not sure if Bosa will put up big enough numbers to compete for the award.
Ricky Henne of Chargers.com talks with Ken Whisenhunt about the state of San Diego’s offense.
My take: It’s a good read and worth your time this morning. As the Chargers have done in the past, they will continue to employ a running back by committee approach, using Melvin Gordon, Danny Woodhead and Branden Oliver in certain packages.
Michael Gehlken of The San Diego Union-Tribune writes about Chargers fifth-round selection Jatavis Brown, who honors his older brother Dimarques through his play on the field. Dimarques drowned at the age of 12 in a fishing accident.
My take: A compelling story on Brown, who will be fighting for a roster spot as a late-round draft pick. The Chargers begin rookie minicamp on Friday.