SAN DIEGO -- Throughout the 2016 season, San Diego Chargers players grew weary of answering questions about relocation.
Among them was quarterback Philip Rivers, who served as a spokesperson for Measure C, the team's failed attempt to secure public money for a new downtown stadium in San Diego.
"Last year it was a little more stressful because I think it was a little fresher for everybody," Rivers told Xtra 1360 Fox Sports Radio on Wednesday, hours before the team's decision to move to Los Angeles was revealed. "It was just like so new and fast about what was going to happen. There wasn't a Rams team already there and are we going to join? It was kind of up in the air for everybody, and everybody waiting and seeing.
"With this [year], obviously going through it the whole year and having the measure, I guess we're a little more prepped. But I'm kind of ready to know one way or another."
On Wednesday evening Rivers got the certainty he desired, finding out with everyone else the Chargers would be playing in Los Angeles for the 2017 season.
Chargers chairman Dean Spanos is expected to inform employees of the team's move during a morning meeting at Chargers Park on Thursday.
A Los Angeles native, Chargers nose tackle Brandon Mebane was surprised to hear the news.
"I wish it could have worked out with the stadium situation and we could have stayed in San Diego," Mebane said. "But they had to make a business decision, so there isn't too much you can really do about that.
"I hope we don't lose any fans and they all still follow us up to L.A. Without the fans, the game wouldn't be as big as it is now."
Chargers defensive lineman Corey Liuget echoed Mebane's sentiments.
"More than anything I'm shocked," Liuget told ESPN's Josina Anderson. "I didn't think it was going to happen. I thought we were going to stay in San Diego. ... I thought something would've got done and worked out. ... So I guess L.A. is our new home then."
Receiver Keenan Allen said he was excited about playing in Los Angeles.
"It's different to hear the Los Angeles Chargers, but it should be dope," Allen told Anderson.
However, he also felt for the fans in San Diego.
"They are going to be upset that we are leaving, just because of the tradition that we do have, and how long they have been here as an organization," Allen told Anderson. "It will definitely be a heartbroken relationship."
While Mebane knows fans will be upset, the Chargers moving to L.A. is a homecoming for the 31-year-old nose tackle who attended Crenshaw High.
"It's going to be great to go back home and see everybody I grew up with and everything like that," Mebane said. "It was something I thought of way before I got here, but never thought it would come through until now."