SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- It was San Francisco 49ers CEO Jed York who referred to his general manager, Treent Baalke, as "Trader Trent" on Twitter on Thursday night, just before the 49ers' first-round pick.
Sure enough, the 49ers moved back a couple of spots, from No. 15 overall to No. 17, picking up the San Diego Chargers' fifth-round selection next year. Then, in the seventh round, Baalke gave Dallas a seventh-round pick in this year’s draft in exchange for the Cowboys' sixth-rounder next year.
As such, the 49ers, who emerged from the 2015 NFL draft with 10 selections, are expected to have nine picks in 2016.
Plus, overthecap.com forecasts the 49ers could have as many as three compensatory selections, which would give them 12 picks next year.
Here’s where the 49ers' picks for next year currently project:
1. First round: Own selection
2. Second round: Own selection
3. Third round: Own selection
4. Fourth round: Own selection
5. *Fourth round: Compensatory selection?
6. Fifth round: Own selection
7. Fifth round: San Diego selection acquired in first-round deal Thursday
8. *Fifth round: Compensatory selection?
9. Sixth round: Own selection
10. Sixth round: Dallas selection acquired for 49ers' seventh-rounder Saturday.
11. *Sixth round: Compensatory selection?
12. Seventh round: Own selection