David Ortiz said Wednesday that he and his representatives have had discussions with Red Sox management about adding a one-year extension for the 2015 season to this contract.
Earlier this week, Ortiz made some waves by saying in a TV interview that if the team did not offer him another long-term deal, it was "time to move on."
"We're good. We're good. We talked, they're talking and I just asked for one year," Ortiz said on a WEEI.com podcast, reiterating comments he made in December at his charity golf tournament. "I didn't ask for anything crazy. It wasn't like I asked for a five-year deal. It's a one-year extension I asked for.
"Everything is going well. We had a great conversation. They are happy about what we talked about."
In an interview that aired on Boston CBS4 on Sunday night, Ortiz said he would like to retire with the Red Sox, but was asked what would happen if the team didn't offer him another long-term deal.
"Time to move on," he said.
In reference to that comment, Ortiz said Wednesday that he was responding to a hypothetical in which the team showed no interest in retaining him.
"I heard a comment the other day that came through the news about me saying that I'm going to go somewhere else. People sometimes take the wrong message. I was asked if the Red Sox don't want to offer me an extension, then what am I going to do? I'm not going to retire. I'll go somewhere else," Ortiz said. "Whoever offers me a contract, that's where I'm going to be. It's not a secret from no one that I want to be part of this organization. This is where I want to play. But it's a business."
Ortiz said he would like an extension so he can focus on this season without worrying about questions on his contract status.
"I don't want to have contract talk with all of you every day," he said. "It distracts me, it's something that gets me thinking, and all I want to do through the season is just make sure I get the job done, make sure that I do what I do best without having to worry about anything else."