The Boston Athletic Association announced plans on Thursday for an event to mark the one-year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings in tribute to the victims and others affected. Hosted by Boston Mayor Martin Walsh and Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, in coordination with One Fund Boston, the event will be held at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston on April 15.
"As a community, we were put to the ultimate test by the events at last year's Boston Marathon," Patrick said, "but we rose to the occasion, turning to each other rather than against and showing the world what a strong community looks like. Though we all had our lives affected in profoundly different ways, this tribute will show the world again that we stand as one."
Representatives from families of those affected, first responders, government agencies and civic organizations will speak, and there will be a flag-raising ceremony and a moment of silence.
Attendance is by invitation only.
"We are humbled to participate in this tribute on behalf of the entire marathon community," said Tom Grilk, executive director of the Boston Athletic Association. "We continue to express our deepest gratitude to all those who courageously reacted to help save lives. And we remain committed to showing our support and encouragement for those that were injured or lost a loved one. What's clear is that the bravery and tenacity exhibited in the moments following last year's events are attributes that continue to define our community today. That's what we seek to honor at this event."