![]() |
|
| Saturday, June 21 Updated: June 22, 3:41 PM ET Ali stops Mahfood, says HBO should cover her Reuters |
||||||||||
|
LOS ANGELES -- Laila Ali, daughter of Muhammad Ali, said even world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis could not match her eye for the spectacular after she stopped Valerie Mahfood in six rounds Saturday. Ali scored a technical knockout after one minute 17 seconds of the sixth with a barrage of punches to Mahfood's head to regain all three of her world super-middleweight belts on show at the Staples Center. Ali, fighting on the undercard of Lewis's world title clash with Vitali Klitschko, told reporters: "(Mine) was the most exciting fight of the night. I am a great fighter, and people like me. "(Mahfood) is a tough girl, but she did not hurt me. I just had to get her out of there." Lewis defended his WBC and IBO crowns against Klitschko later Saturday. The win took Ali's professional record to 15-0, with 12 knockouts, and delighted a sizable and partisan crowd. The 25-year-old American, who enjoyed an eighth-round technical knockout over Mahfood last year, called out Home Box Office, the television broadcaster with rights to the Lewis-Klitschko bout. "(HBO) just don't get it," said Ali. "I should be fighting on HBO." Some of Ali's previous fights, including one against Jacquelyn Frazier -- daughter of Joe Frazier -- have attracted television coverage from other broadcasters. Ali's fight was preceded by another women's bout, won by American Lucia Rijker over Briton Jane Couch. "Lucia and I showed that we have superior skills and that people want to watch us," Ali added.
|
| |||||||||