While cruiserweights Nathan Cleverly and Toney Bellew set out with Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn on Wednesday for a two-stop media tour to Liverpool, England, and Cardiff, Wales, to hype their Nov. 22 rematch, Hearn announced much of the undercard.
It will include junior featherweight titlist Scott Quigg and bantamweight titlist Jamie McDonnell in defenses as well as appearances by heavyweight prospect Anthony Joshua, super middleweight contender James DeGale, rising super middleweight contender Callum Smith and junior lightweight contender Stephen Smith.
The card will take place at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, Bellew's hometown.
England's Quigg (29-0-2, 22 KOs) will make his fifth title defense against an opponent to be determined.
McDonnell (24-2-1, 11 KOs), of England, who claimed a vacant belt by 10th-round knockout of Thailand's Tabtimdaeng Na Rachawat on May 31, will make his first defense against Walberto Ramos (23-6-2, 16 KOs) of Colombia. The fight will be Ramos' second world title bout. He lost a decision in a 2006 flyweight title challenge against Omar Narvaez.
Joshua, the 2012 British Olympic super heavyweight gold medalist, is due to face veteran journeyman Michael Sprott (42-22, 17 KOs) in a British title elimination bout. Joshua (8-0, 8 KOs), however, first has to get through a previously scheduled fight against Denis Bakhtov on Oct. 11.
DeGale (19-1, 13 KOs), a 2008 British Olympic gold medalist, will face an opponent to be determined. He is a mandatory challenger for unified super middleweight titleholder and countryman Carl Froch, so DeGale is staying busy before that potential fight in early 2015.
Callum Smith (13-0, 10 KOs), who will be fighting in his hometown, will square off with Nikola Sjekloca (27-2, 8 KOs) in a 168-pound title eliminator that will move the winner a step closer to a mandatory shot at titlist Anthony Dirrell. On May 3, Sjekloca lost a unanimous decision challenging Arthur Abraham for his version of the world title.
Stephen Smith (20-1, 12 KOs), Callum's older brother, will face an opponent to be determined.
Cleverly (28-1, 14 KOs), of Wales, and Bellew (22-2-1, 14 KOs) first met in October 2011, also at Echo Arena, and Cleverly won a disputed majority decision to retain a version of the light heavyweight world title. Both fighters have since lost, moved up in weight and won two fights in a row to set up the much-anticipated rematch, which will air as a Sky Sports Box Office pay-per-view in the United Kingdom.
During their media tour Wednesday, Cleverly and Bellew talked up the rematch.
"Many people have asked me why I am going back to Liverpool to fight Tony Bellew again, and the answer is simple: I don't like him," Cleverly said. "He talks too much, and although I've beaten him before in front of his home fans, I am going to KO him this time around. He will not hear the final bell, I can guarantee you that. I will deal with him all over again and become a two-weight world champion."
Said Bellew: "I have been waiting for this fight for three years, and now it is here. Revenge is the only thing on my mind. I have seen his horrible face in my head many nights since the fight, but I have not had the chance to make it right. This is a chapter in my life that I need to close, and I will do that by ending Nathan Cleverly's career on Nov. 22.
"I am in the sport to be successful and win titles, but this fight means more to me than any of that. This is personal, and he will not want to enter a boxing ring after I have finished with him. It's my first headlining show on Sky Sports Box Office, and that just underlines how big this fight is, and I am going to make sure my performance is a destructive and memorable one."