Floyd Mayweather Jr., with reports continuing to swirl that a deal with Manny Pacquiao on a May megafight is very close, if not done, sought to set the record straight in a TV interview Sunday night broadcast from the NBA All-Star Game, denying it while saying he remained hopeful.
"No, that's not true," Mayweather said when asked during TNT's broadcast from New York's Madison Square Garden whether a fight was set and whether he had signed a contract. "Um, I haven't signed yet, and he hasn't signed yet, you know.
"It's just been speculations and rumors. But hopefully we can make the fight happen."
Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum had said earlier this month that HBO and Showtime had agreed on how they would broadcast the fight, leaving only two remaining issues, while Showtime executive vice president Stephen Espinoza later shot that notion down.
Then over the weekend, at least one report surfaced in England saying a contract had been agreed to by both parties, with Mayweather set to sign and announce the fight particulars in the next few days.
The Telegraph reported the bout was expected to be worth $250 million, citing a source close to Pacquiao.
Mayweather's representatives have dictated most terms of the fight, and Arum said Mayweather will be the one to announce it if it is made.
Mayweather fights under contract to Showtime and Pacquiao to HBO, and there was speculation the networks could hold up the fight by not coming to terms themselves. But talks between top executives have been ongoing, and HBO issued a statement in early February saying it was not an "impediment" to the fight.
"We stand ready to go," the statement said. "The principals need to agree to terms and come to a deal."
Information from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael and The Associated Press was used in this report.