<
>

Leo Santa Cruz added to Mayweather-Pacquiao card

Junior featherweight titlist Leo Santa Cruz was officially added to the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao undercard on Friday, Mayweather Promotions announced.

Santa Cruz's opponent was not announced nor was whether his fight would be a 122-pound title defense. But he will be in the co-feature of what is expected to be the biggest-selling pay-per-view fight in history on May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and will give the big show a Mexican titleholder on Cinco de Mayo weekend.

"I'm so honored to be the lead-in for Mayweather versus Pacquiao and I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to do so on Cinco de Mayo weekend," Santa Cruz said. "This will be a huge night for boxing and I plan on showing everybody that I'm all about action-packed fights. I'm grateful to Floyd Mayweather and Mayweather Promotions for giving me this opportunity and giving the Mexican fight fans another reason to cheer on May 2."

Santa Cruz (29-0-1, 17 KOs), 26, a Mexico native fighting out of Southern California, won a bantamweight world title before moving up to junior featherweight, where he has made four title defenses.

Santa Cruz will be fighting on his third Mayweather undercard. He also retained his belt by second-round knockout of Manuel Roman on Sept. 13 on the Mayweather-Marcos Maidana II bill and knocked out former world titleholder Alexander Munoz in the fifth round in May 2013 in his junior featherweight debut on the Mayweather-Robert Guerrero card.

"I'm extremely excited to put one of the most popular and exciting Mexican fighters in the world on the pay-per-view undercard of this historic event on Cinco de Mayo weekend," Mayweather said. "I'm all about giving my loyal fans what they want. All the fans watching on fight night will be in for a great show when Leo Santa Cruz enters the ring."

Mayweather Promotions also announced it has added cruiserweight prospect Andrew Tabiti (9-0, 9 KOs), 25, a Chicago native living in Las Vegas, to face an opponent to be determined in an eight-round bout in one of the two untelevised bouts it is responsible for.

"I can't wait for this opportunity to get in the ring and show off my power on May 2," Tabiti said. "I'm always ready to put on a show for the fans and I hope they're ready to see a big knockout."

Previously, Mayweather Promotions announced that junior lightweight prospect Chris Pearson (11-0, 9 KOs), 24, of Dayton, Ohio, would face Said El Harrak (12-2-2, 7 KOs), 27, of England, in a 10-round bout.

"Chris Pearson and Andrew Tabiti are future world champions who will have a chance to perform on the biggest stage in all of boxing on May 2, and I can't say enough about how excited we are to have Leo Santa Cruz on the card as the lead-in for Mayweather versus Pacquiao," said Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe.

Top Rank, Pacquiao's promoter and co-promoter of the card, is responsible for the other televised undercard bout -- ticketed to be featherweight titlist Vasyl Lomachenko (3-1, 1 KO), the 27-year-old two-time Ukrainian Olympic gold medalist, against Gamalier Rodriguez (25-2-3, 17 KOs), 28, of Puerto Rico -- and two untelevised bouts. One will pit Philadelphia super middleweight prospect Jesse Hart (16-0, 13 KOs), 25, against Mike Jimenez (17-0, 11 KOs), 27, of Chicago, in a 10-round bout. The other has not been determined.