<
>

Lee Haskins to defend his bantamweight title vs. Stuart Hall

Bantamweight titlist Lee Haskins will make the second defense of his belt against British countryman and former titleholder Stuart Hall in a rematch. The date and location have not been determined, but Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn said it is expected to take place this summer or early fall.

Hearn, who promotes Hall and won the IBF purse bid Tuesday, told ESPN.com that he would look to put the fight on one of two undercards: either with the fight between unified middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin and Chris Eubank Jr., which is in the final stages of negotiations to take place Aug. 27 in England, or with the welterweight world title unification bout between England's Kell Brook and American Jessie Vargas slated for a date to be determined in September in Sheffield, England, Brook's hometown.

Matchroom Boxing won promotional rights to Haskins-Hall with a bid of $201,999, which easily beat the only other offer of $85,000 made by Tom Brown's TGB Promotions. As the titleholder, Haskins is entitled to 75 percent of the winning bid ($151,499), and Hall will receive the remaining 25 percent ($50,500).

"I'm pleased to win the bid, as it's a domestic world title fight that I'm excited to see," Hearn told ESPN.com. "There is some deep rivalry between the pair having already met, and we are deeply invested in the division with [world titleholder] Jamie McDonnell and [British champion] Ryan Burnett.

"We have eight world champions in our team right now, and I want to push this into double figures as soon as possible, and I believe Stuart will get the job done against Haskins."

In July 2012, Haskins won a unanimous decision over Hall to take the vacant European bantamweight title. The 32-year-old Haskins (33-3, 14 KOs) held an interim belt when he was supposed to challenge full titleholder Randy Caballero in November in Las Vegas on the Canelo Alvarez-Miguel Cotto undercard. However, Caballero failed to make weight. He was 123½ pounds, a whopping 5½ pounds over the division limit of 118, and the fight was canceled.

Caballero was stripped of the belt and Haskins was elevated to full titleholder. Haskins made his first defense on May 14 in Cardiff, Wales, winning a wide decision -- 119-108, 118-110 and 118-110 -- against Ivan Morales, the younger brother of Mexican legend and former four-division titleholder Erik Morales.

Hall (20-4-2, 7 KOs) used to own the same belt, claiming it by unanimous decision against Vusi Malinga in December 2013. Hall, 36, made one successful defense, a draw against Martin Ward, and then lost the belt by split decision to Paul Butler in June 2014.

Hall then lost his next fight to Caballero for the vacant belt in October 2014 after Butler vacated. Since the loss to Caballero, Hall has won four fights in a row.