<
>

Jamal James to fight Thomas Dulorme for vacant interim belt on April 11

Welterweight contenders Jamal James and Thomas Dulorme will square off for a vacant interim belt on April 11, Premier Boxing Champions announced on Thursday.

The fight will headline a PBC on Fox card (Fox and Fox Deportes, 8 p.m. ET) at The Armory in James' hometown of Minneapolis. The fight will be the popular draw in James' fifth fight in a row at the venue.

"I'm extremely excited and honored to have my fifth fight back at home at The Armory," James said. "We've created an empire with Minnesota boxing and being able to have these big fights at home is a huge blessing. Being the main event fighting top competitors at home and on Fox, it's going to show Minnesota boxing to the nation. I'm extremely motivated and focused for this fight. I'm always training to my fullest, but we're going extra hard for this fight."

James (26-1, 12 KOs), 31, has won six fights in a row since dropping a 10-round decision to contender Yordenis Ugas in 2016. James has been matched tough for several years but has notched wins over opponents such as Javier Molina, Wale Omotoso, Jo Jo Dan, Diego Chaves Abel Ramos and former lightweight titlist Antonio DeMarco.

The 30-year-old Dulorme (25-3-1, 16 KOs), of Puerto Rico, had a junior welterweight world title shot but suffered a sixth-round knockout loss to Terence Crawford for a vacant belt in 2015. Since then, he also lost a 10-rounder to Ugas and fought to an action-packed draw with former two-division world titlist Jessie Vargas in 2018. But Dulorme is coming off a unanimous 10-round decision win over previously unbeaten Terrel Williams in September.

"I am very excited to get a chance to fight for a title again," Dulorme said. "I had a chance before, but this time I won't let the opportunity slip away. James is a good fighter and I'm sure he will be motivated fighting in his hometown. I respect him, but I feel like I am in the prime of my career and it will show when I step in the ring."

In the co-feature, Minneapolis-based Cuban David Morrell Jr. (2-0, 2 KOs), 22, will get a surprising chance to fight for a vacant interim super middleweight belt in just his third professional bout despite having not defeated anyone of note in his first two pro fights. He will take on Lennox Allen (22-0-1, 14 KOs), 34, a southpaw from Guyana who is based in New York.

"I'm very thankful to my team and excited for this great opportunity," Morrell said. "I feel strong in training camp and I'm not underestimating Allen at all. I'm focused on getting one step closer to winning a world title for my family and fans in Cuba. I can't wait to perform in front of my new family and friends in Minnesota and give them a great show on April 11."

Allen, a pro since 2014, has won 10 consecutive fights since a 2010 draw against Darnell Boone.

"I know that Morrell sees me as a step in his career, but that's exactly how I see him as well," Allen said. "I've worked hard to get one step away from the top and I'm planning on taking that step in this fight. We both have good technical skills, but I think I'm going to have to be the one to press the fight and take it to him."

In another fight slated for the broadcast, junior middleweight prospect Joey Spencer (10-0, 7 KOs), 19, of Linden, Michigan, will face an opponent to be determined in a six-rounder.