Henry Melton arrested Saturday

PHILADELPHIA -- Chicago Bears defensive tackle Henry Melton was arrested early Sunday morning for assault and public intoxication, according to police in Grapevine, Texas, stemming from an altercation with a bartender at Chill Sports Bar & Grill.

Melton was arrested at 1:45 a.m., posted bond at 9:21 a.m. and was released.

Melton's agent, Jordan Woy, told ESPN.com that his client has acknowledged getting into an argument with a bartender.

"It's still preliminary, and we're looking into everything," Woy told ESPN.com. "But Henry said he didn't do anything. He said he didn't throw a punch at anybody and that he got jumped by a couple of bouncers on the way out."

Grapevine police Sgt. Robert Eberling told ESPN.com that Melton was "belligerent with some of the staff members" at the bar.

"He was asked to leave," Eberling told ESPN.com. "He refused to do so. They had to restrain Mr. Melton. When police arrived, they subsequently determined he was intoxicated."

Eberling also said that Melton "struck a staff member" during a previous altercation.

However, a patron who claimed to witness the incident told ESPN.com that Melton "didn't really do anything."

The Bears issued a statement Sunday afternoon, saying they are "aware of the reports" regarding Melton's arrest.

"We are currently gathering information to learn more about the circumstances surrounding the arrest," the Bears' statement said.

A Pro Bowler in 2012, Melton is on Chicago's injured reserve after suffering a torn ACL in the team's Sept. 22 victory at Pittsburgh.

The Bears tagged Melton last offseason with the franchise designation, which pays $8.45 million. But he'll be a free agent at the end of the season.

A fifth-year veteran, Melton had posted 15.5 sacks and 66 tackles (nine for lost yardage), in addition to forcing three fumbles and recovering another coming into the season. In three games this season, Melton posted five tackles, two quarterback pressures and recovered a fumble.