Urlacher also revealed Tuesday that his injured left knee -- damaged in a collision with safety Major Wright during the season finale at Minnesota -- isn't yet completely healed.
Asked whether the knee was 100 percent healthy, Urlacher joked on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000 that "I can't play golf yet, so no."
"There's some things I still can't do right now. When it's time for me to be healthy ... I haven't pushed it. I've done what I've been told to do," he said. "I've kind of stayed off of it for the most part. There's no reason for me to rush it right now. It was a pretty good injury, so I'm just trying to relax a little bit longer. Then when it's time to get going I'll be ready to go."
Urlacher suffered the injury attempting to break up a pass in the end zone during the club's 17-13 win over the Minnesota Vikings to close the season. Urlacher collided with Wright on the play, and immediately left the game. A subsequent MRI revealed damage to the medial collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments; enough damage to require more than two months of rehabilitation.
Urlacher said he's re-watched the play on film, and called it "a nasty spill."
"The MCL and the PCL were damaged. I've done everything I've been asked to do by our trainers and the rehab people," Urlacher said.
"I'll be fine. We have another month now before we even start our offseason [program]. Once we start running and stuff, I should be doing everything with the team."
Having eclipsed 100 tackles a franchise-record 11 times, Urlacher carries a $9.7 million cap charge ($7.5 million base salary) into the final year of a five-year extension signed in 2008. The team hasn't approached Urlacher about possibly restructuring his deal and the sides haven't yet discussed an extension, he said. Despite Urlacher's age -- 33 -- the linebacker remains highly productive, and club officials continue to express confidence in his ability to remain so.
Urlacher is one of four NFL players with at least 20 interceptions (21) and 40 sacks (41.5) over their career, since sacks became an official statistic in 1982. The linebacker said the contract situation is simply a matter of taking care of business, with the expectation that the team will eventually take care of him.
"I've got one year left on my deal. Next year (2012) is my last year, and I haven't [talked to the team about a restructure or extension], no. I'm not worried about me," he said. "I know there's a lot of guys they've got to take care of right now. I'm sure if I play well enough and stay healthy that'll all get taken care of. I don't want to go anywhere else. I want to be here.
"It's always nice having the security of a couple of years on your deal. The Bears have been very good to me. So I can't really complain. They've treated me very well. I don't see that changing; as long as I keep playing well and staying on the field I don't think it's gonna be an issue."
Michael C. Wright covers the Bears for ESPNChicago.com and ESPN 1000.