Security upped after Clemson University Police receive bomb threats

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Security was heightened at Clemson's Memorial Stadium before the Tigers' 24-18 victory over No. 19 Florida State after Clemson University Police received two bomb threats Monday, according to university officials.

It was the third bomb threat received by Clemson police since Aug. 27, according to a pair of alerts issued to university faculty by school officials.

University police told ESPN they received two threats earlier Monday, the first of which targeted Sirrine Hall, which is located behind the John C. Calhoun Mansion at the center of campus.

According to an e-mail alert sent to university faculty earlier Monday, Clemson Police chief Johnson Link requested a bomb task force from nearby Anderson, S.C., which included an explosive-detecting dog. No explosive device was found.

The target of the second threat wasn't immediately known.

On Aug. 26, the school's admissions department received a threat that claimed a bomb was located in Sikes Hall, which houses many of the school's administrative offices. The e-mail threat wasn't read until the following day, according to the police alert, and the Anderson police bomb task force swept that building and found no device.

Anderson Police and University Police have set up a command center in nearby Littlejohn Coliseum. If a threat to the stadium was received by police before or during the game, Clemson president James F. Barker was to decide whether to evacuate the teams and more than 83,000 fans.

The schools' associate commissioners, head coaches and ACC officials were aware of the possibility of a threat. The players weren't told of the threat before kickoff.

ESPN sideline reporter Holly Rowe asked fans before the game if they were worried about the threatsand they responded, "Oh, no." The fans told Rowe they were just worried about the outcome.

Mark Schlabach covers college football and men's college basketball for ESPN.com. You can contact him at schlabachma@yahoo.com.